This recipe landed in my inbox a few days ago from one of the Spartan Race newsletters. I wanted to give it a try mainly because it called for millet, coconut, and chickpea flours instead of wheat, which sounded interesting. Admittedly, I thought this recipe could go either way – either really great or worse than a lab experiment. Fortunately, it turned out to be really wonderful.
I didn’t have actual millet flour or coconut flour, so I “milled” my own using an old coffee grinder. It worked well enough, but certainly wasn’t as fine as the actual flours would have been. I’m sure this changed the texture of the cake some.
True to form, I made a few other changes to the original recipe. What follows includes my changes and ends up making one 9″ cake.
Spartan Coconut Cake
- 3/4c cane sugar
- 5tbs Virgin coconut oil
- 1c millet flour
- 1c chick pea flour
- 1 egg
- 1/4c egg white
- 3tbs coconut flour
- 2tbs raw quinoa seeds
- 1tbs cinnamon, ground
- 1tsp sea salt
- 1c coconut milk
- 1tbs vanilla
- 1tbs lemon zest (I used 1tsp lemon extract)
- 1 lemon, juiced (I used 2tbs lemon juice)
- 1tbs baking powder
- 4tbs virgin coconut oil
- 1/4c coconut milk
- 2c dried, shredded coconut
- 1/2c cane sugar
- 1c dark chocolate pieces
- Preheat oven to 350f
- Beat eggs, egg whites, coconut oil, sugar, vanilla, zest, and juice together
- Add coconut milk, then flours, seeds, and baking powder
- Pour mixture in 9″ greased pan
- Bake in oven for 35-45 min until done
- Melt coconut oil and mix with dried coconut and sugar
- Melt dark chocolate and spread on top followed immediately by the coconut mix
- Let cake cool for 1-2 hours
It’s looking so nice ! Can I use this receipt in my web site?
You’re welcome to use the recipe, but it isn’t originally mine. I got it from spartanrace.com.
it looks very nice. Can I share it on my internet site? I want to source your site.