Yes, this is yet another mug cake recipe. I’m a fan of the concept of the mug cake – making a single serving and not being stuck with an entire cake to contend with for a week afterward – but I am interested in making it a little healthier. So far, this recipe is what I’ve come up with. It’s vegan, and while it isn’t the sexiest cake around, it’s quite delicious with almost the richness of a brownie.
Dry ingredients, mixed
Vegan Mug Cake
- 3tbsp Almond flour
- 1tbsp Coconut Flour
- 2tbsp Dutch-process Cocoa
- 4tbsp Raw Sugar
- 1tbsp Ground Flax Seed + 1 1/2tbsp Water
- 3tbsp Coconut Milk (I’ve been using the So Delicious brand)
- 3tbsp Vegetable Oil (Smart Balance)
- A dash of Vanilla Extract
- Mix the ground flax seed with water and set aside.
- In an over-sized mug mix together the dry ingredients.
- Mix in the the wet ingredients. Add the flax mixture and stir well.
- Cook in the microwave for 3:30 minutes
For a little extra decadence add in a scant handful of dairy-free chocolate chips and/or nuts.
Wet ingredients added
I know this recipe has quite a bit of sugar. My next project is to come up with a gluten-free version with a substitute for the granulated sugar. I’m thinking of trying brown rice syrup and a pinch of stevia powder.
Cooked and ready to eat