Spicy Kale and Roasted Veggie Soup
Last week I was searching through Foodily and came across a recipe for Kale and Vegetable Soup, which looked so absolutely delicious that I made it today. Of course, I modified the ingredients, so below is my recipe, based off of the original:
- 4 Medium Carrots
- 2 lg Tomatos, quartered
- 2 md Parsnips, quartered lengthwise
- 1 White Onion quartered
- 1 Sweet potato, quartered lengthwise
- 1 Acorn Squash, quartered and seeded
- Olive oil spray
- 4 cups Vegetable Broth (yeah, I cheated, but still organic and low sodium)
- 2 cups water
- 6 Garlic Cloves
- 1 can Northern White Beans
- 4 cups Kale, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp Thyme
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1tsp Cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp Spike, salt-free
- 1tbsp Bragg Liquid Aminos
- Heat oven to 400(deg f). On a baking stone lined with parchment paper arrange tomatoes, carrots, parsnips, onions and squash. Spray with olive oil and place in the over for about 45 min.
- In a blender place garlic cloves, roasted tomatoes, onion, parsnip, carrots, and sweet potato, then puree until smooth.
- Pour broth, water, and vegetable puree into a large pot and add in white beans and kale. Bring to a boil and simmer.
- Peel the skin off of the squash (should come off easily) and cube along with the roasted carrots. Add to the simmering mixture. Season the soup with the last 5 ingredients to taste. Continue simmering for an additional 10 minutes to blend flavors.
This is a thick, hearty soup and this version is much spicier than the original recipe, so look out. It’s got a kick! Next time I’ll try roasting a red pepper and adding it into the puree.